Pages

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Madam Glam Gelementary Swatches & Review

Collage of swatch photos of four Madam Glam Gelementary polishes


I was recently sent some newer Madam Glam shades to share and review. If you're unfamiliar with Madam Glam, they're a New York based company that provides regular and gel polishes, chrome powders, loose glitters, and other nail supplies to an international audience. Even better, their products are 5-free, vegan, and cruelty free.




Bottleshots of five Madam Glam Gelementary polishes



I received four shades from their Gelementary line of polishes, as well as the special Gelementary topcoat. The Gelementary collection consists of 18 different polishes, plus a base and topcoat. The polishes are a hybrid between regular and gel polishes, giving a shiny, long-lasting, gel-like manicure without needing to be cured under a UV or LED lamp, and the polishes can be removed easily with acetone. Each Gelementary polish can be purchased from Madam Glam's website for $11.95 apiece.

In all of the swatches below, I've applied each polish in addition to Zoya's Anchor base coat and Madam Glam's Gelementary Hybrid Topcoat. Each photo is edited to most accurately depict how I perceive the colors to look in real life.

First up, we have Souvenirs:

Madam Glam Souvenirs, a light grey creme polish

Souvenirs is a light grey creme. This one was incredibly opaque, and although I used two thin coats for these photos, you could get full coverage with one thick coat as well.

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Souvenirs," a light grey creme polish
Madam Glam "Souvenirs," two coats plus topcoat 

Grey is one of my favorite colors, and I love using it as a base for my nail art. Since this one is so opaque, I think it'll become my new go-to when designs call for a grey.

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Souvenirs," a light grey creme polish

Next up is Cheerleading Squad:

A swatch photo showing three coats of Madam Glam "Cheerleading Squad," a neon yellow creme polish

Cheerleading Squad is a neon highlighter yellow creme. For these photos, I used three thin coats, and while it's fairly opaque at three, my nail line was still a bit visible, so I'd recommend using a white or nude base coat if you're particularly concerned about VNL.

A swatch photo showing three coats of Madam Glam "Cheerleading Squad," a neon yellow creme polish
Madam Glam "Cheerleading Squad," three coats plus topcoat

I absolutely love wearing neons year-round, and I've noticed that it's hard to find a true neon yellow, but Cheerleading Squad has exactly what I look for in a neon. It's a super bright color and easily stands out even from a distance. While it is a bit on the thin side, I'd still consider it fairly opaque for a neon yellow, and the visibility of my nail line doesn't really bother me since the polish itself isn't streaky. I was a bit worried that this one might stain my nails, but I can happily report that that also wasn't the case.

A swatch photo showing three coats of Madam Glam "Cheerleading Squad," a neon yellow creme polish

The third polish is Haters Gonna Hate:

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Haters Gonna Hate," a hot pink creme polish

Haters Gonna Hate is a hot pink creme that was opaque in two thin coats.

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Haters Gonna Hate," a hot pink creme polish
Madam Glam "Haters Gonna Hate," two coats plus topcoat

I rarely wear pink polish, so this shade wasn't my favorite of the bunch. If you love pink or you're looking for a polish that looks like bubblegum, though, this one would be perfect, and it's quite opaque and easy to work with.

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Haters Gonna Hate," a hot pink creme polish

The last shade is Pop Quiz:

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Pop Quiz," a light pink creme polish

Pop Quiz is a light baby doll pink creme. Shown here is two thin coats.

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Pop Quiz," a light pink creme polish
Madam Glam "Pop Quiz," two coats plus topcoat

I actually like the shade of Pop Quiz much more than Haters Gonna Hate, because it's a softer, subtler pink tone. After working with several light pinks in the past, I was incredibly impressed with how opaque this one was, having full coverage in only two coats. Like Souvenirs, this one would be the perfect base for nail art.

A swatch photo showing two coats of Madam Glam "Pop Quiz," a light pink creme polish

Finally, I wanted to give my thoughts on the Gelementary Hybrid Topcoat itself. I've only been testing the topcoat over Souvenirs for two days, but so far I haven't experienced any chipping or tip wear, and the polish looks exactly the same as the day I applied it. I don't normally experience much chipping to begin with, especially with only two days of use, so I'm definitely going to have to test the topcoat on someone else to be able to tell how long-lasting it really is. I can confirm, however, that the topcoat does give a high-shine finish to the polishes, which can be seen in these photos. Here, I've applied two coats of Pop Quiz to my thumb with no topcoat, and my pointer finger also has two coats of Pop Quiz, but it is sealed with the hybrid topcoat.

Side by side photos showing a comparison of Madam Glam "Pop Quiz." On the left, "Pop Quiz" is not topcoated; on the right, the Madam Glam Gelementary Hybrid Topcoat has been applied.
Left: Two coats of Pop Quiz, no topcoat   Right: Two coats of Pop Quiz, plus Gelementary Hybrid Topcoat

While the Gelementary polishes are rather shiny on their own, the topcoat really adds extra gloss and smooths out the application. Additionally, I used the topcoat over some nail art that I did, and it didn't smear the design, which is always nice. The only downside to the topcoat is that it does have a slightly unpleasant smell, but this completely goes away after it dries. While the Gelementary polishes can be used with your regular topcoat, the hybrid topcoat will give the best results to give your manicure a gel-like finish.

Overall, I really love the idea of the Gelementary polishes. As someone who is unable to use traditional gel polishes due to a UV sensitivity, I think that these hybrid polishes are a great alternative. All four of the polishes I tried had an excellent formula, and they self-leveled well. Each coat, including the topcoat, took between 5-10 minutes to dry, which I think is a pretty average time for non-quick dry polishes. None of the polishes stained my nails, and they removed just like a regular creme polish. I especially loved Souvenirs, and I know that I'll be using it in lots of my upcoming nail art designs!

Which of these colors was your favorite? How do you feel about gel hybrid polishes like these? Leave me a comment below!

As a bonus, you can get 30% off the purchase of these and more Madam Glam polishes by using my code "Blitz30" on their website!

Want to support Breast Cancer Research? From October 16-22, Madam Glam will be donating 20% of the sales from their selection of "Think Pink" polishes to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation! You can find all of the participating polishes here, and I'll have more information and Breast Cancer Awareness nail art in my next blog post.

DISCLAIMER: All the Madam Glam products swatched here were provided to me by the company. All views expressed in this review are my honest opinions.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very good, I love it, I am always looking for new designs by the products at
    Discount Beauty Supply
    Gel Remover

    ReplyDelete